Opeyemi Wins Yale Young Scholars Scholarship!

Here's probably one of the most heartwarming and endearing stories I have been involved in. Thinking about it still gives me goose bumps.
A friend of mine Chidi Arole (thank you!) sent me a link for a program organized by Yale for young Africans since she knew we at Apinke Girls Initiative, work with young girls.
I originally thought what were the odds but relied on the voice within & introduced it to 2 of our girls. The application was tasking considering our girls live in an under-resourced community, Ijegun with little to no internet access and simple information/documents needed were not readily available &/or efforts to get them frustrating at every turn.
With 1 essay and 2 short answer questions, navigating the application was quite challenging. (It's complicated is all I can say).
Anyway, at one point I thought this may not work but was resolute and encouraged by the determination & doggedness of one of girls especially.
With a 6% acceptance rate & thousands of applications to be considered, it was a slim possibility but we completed the process.
Then one fine morning, I opened my email to the most amazing news that stunned me....Opeyemi had been accepted for the program & Favour was on the waiting list. With tears of joy streaming down my face I sent a message to Aramide, my partner in crime, to our mentors & called Opeyemi.
It would be her 1st trip ever out of Ijegun, 1st trip on a plane, 1st trip outside of Nigeria....Opeyemi would be on her way for a week long leadership program in Kenya. She"d be one of 2 Nigerians, exposed to & surrounded by 299 other students from other African countries, Yale Students & Faculty in a beautiful campus setting in beautiful Kenya..My heart was full.
I'd like to say it was smooth sailing following that but of course the Naija context always has a way of a robbing you the wrong way but we persevered. From, applying for available travel grant, to her passport, to a visa...it indeed was a process.
However, I will not belabor the point because our eyes stayed on the price and by God's grace..Opeyemi attended the Yale Young African Schlolars program!!!
I could go on and on but I'd let the pictures speak for themselves. So proud of Opeyemi. O my! ..o the possibilities when we sacrifice a little to be fully present in the lives of others Grateful for the opportunity, grateful for mentors, grateful for Omotola, Aramide, her Husband..Dr. O!!, Dionne & Ope's Mom that all made this possible. Grateful to YYSP for the amazing opportunity.
I have cried out of frustration and I have cried out of joy through this process & I'm Super grateful for the journey & God's grace that brought us here.

Stories Written By Bimbo Adegbite- the Initiator of the opportunity given to Opeyemi Adeyemo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Global Girl Project: The Making of Change makers

May: Power of a Call